PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft hire in the USA
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2020, 15:44
Okihara

Location: Currently: A landlocked country with high terrain, otherwise Melbourne, Australia + Washington D.C.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heaps of good pointers. Many, many thanks to you all (or y'all). I'll pay close attention to insurance to ensure that we're covered. It's still a few months away and I'm already in the US and was advised to add rental insurance on top of that my own car. As with all things related to aviation, one would be surprised by how long planning just about anything takes.

Originally Posted by Ebbie 2003
It has been a long while since I have rented in the US - but found 182RG, 172 RG to rent - in North Carolina and Florida (The Orlando Executive) and Las Vegas for the 172 Cutlass.

The deal was wet (so refund on the fuel to an agreed rate per gallon) - bought the renter insurance from AVEMCO - flew the first 182 up to Oshkosh and the out to Boulder Co and back, the second 182 down to Key West and then over to Nassau and down to Farmers Cay - all no hassle. I seem to recall we had I think a two hour a day Hobbs minimum and managed to exceed that - could be an issue if you just want to go somewhere then fly back.

I am not sure you would find a 206 to rent or a Bonanza - but all you need do is phone around flight schools - if they do not have airplanes they may know people who do - I think that was the deal with the Cutlass - they put a private owners airplane on their insurance and we had the renter insurance, all sorted out in a day including some dual. Of course we had FAA PPL - for what it is worth the 182 out of North Carolina was rented to my brother when he had total time of 58 hours plus the 4 hours of check out to get the complex added to his licence, so total time seems not to be an issue; the insurance was about $150 and lasted a whole year but we flew for only a month or so on it.

The Las Vegas one we rented by going up to the North Las Vegas airport and asking around at the flight schools - there were lots to choose from we wanted another 182 RG but there were none hence the Cutlass.
Would you mind PMing me with the contact details of the North Carolina aircraft? I'll find myself in neighbouring Virginia so that might be handy. Cheers