PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More Typhoon-bashing ammunition for Rafale fans....
Old 4th Feb 2020, 15:10
BVRAAM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Vice
You need to remember that Gripen was designed from the start as a low maintenance point defence platform for Sweden and neighbouring Scandinavian nations. Does it need an expiditionary capability to strike high value targets 1000 miles away after fighting its way in? No. Does it require the ability to fight air to air, land on damaged airstrips or roads and be turned, rearmed and repaired by TWO people and return to the fight? Yes.

Gripen is an easy to maintain and arm, capable air to air platform. It is about numbers over time, not being able to do everything. For that they are brilliant, they can put up large numbers of jets in quick succession, even if they are fuel limited.

In answer to your question- fighting a Gripen WVR in a Typhoon or Rafale normally returns the latter and more powerful jets in favour. But remember the mission requirement for each aircraft and what it was designed to do. Also never forget that all the underdog in a fight needs is a single mistake from the fighter that has everything to lose. I have been shot by Gripen and deserved it, it is a very capable platform.

Edit: Nice to get the thread back to some debate on different platforms!

Mr Vice
Thank you, Mr. Vice. I appreciate you taking the time to respond!

The Gripen is a cracking little jet, it has always impressed me from the ground. Hopefully I'll get to see it from the other perspective soon.