PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest research: Bleed Air Ducts can not be cleaned, pollutants penetrate human body
Old 4th Feb 2020, 08:01
snooky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JustinHeywood
Snooky, I realise you may have simplified of 'dumbed down' your post for the general audience, but a couple of points caught my eye:

What symptoms led you to get tested for benzine and toluene 5 years after you stopped flying?

..."genetic testing revealed that I am not good at removing toxins"

Can you add some detail to that?
Having spent years having tests including many mri scans to explain cardiac problems then neuropathy and other symptoms often associated with aerotoxic syndrome I had blood tests privately. I had exhausted the nhs system including their “clinical pathway” with no diagnosis.
The blood tests found raised levels of many of the contents of aero engine oil which was unsurprising considering I had regularly smelled it in 20 years flying the 757.
By avoiding toxins, following organic diet and supplements within a year the toxins were down to normal levels.
Under medical advice I chose to have dna tests to possibly explain my symptoms and in a very long report found that my genes whilst good at absorbing toxins were not good at removing them.
I feel satisfied personally to have explained my health problems. I do know of others who flew the same aircraft as me who have had health problems at relatively young age, some fatal.
In my carreer I did have 2 “fume events” requiring oxygen use, but I believe that the main problems stem from the very small doses to which I was exposed on most days.
I would certainly encourage current crew to take any unusual odours in flight very seriously and use oxygen if in any doubt.