PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best GPS/Tablet for helicopter use.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2020, 21:52
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dclunie
I mainly use it for automated flight logging and recording GPS track (with flight detection thresholds at all their minimums) but irritatingly it always fails to log the last few minutes of the last approach, landing and taxi in. Some alerts are super annoying and require clicking or swiping to get rid of (e.g., low battery, safe taxi) and autozoom is useless. Not really a UI that's much good when two hands are needed for flying.
I fly with Garmin Pilot on an Android tablet (not that the type of tablet makes a difference). I don't have any problem with warnings like that. I've never seen a SafeTaxi warning. I have seen obstacle and terrain warnings. They will go away after a while. Low battery doesn't count, that's a tablet function, not a Garmin Pilot function. If you are flying low and decide you don't want to be pounded with obstacle and terrain warnings just turn them off. Indeed, the warning even has a button so-marked so that you can leave it on in the settings and only choose to disable them for that flight.

Auto zoom only works under a very specific set of circumstances. You must put in a full route, i.e. depart from A and fly to B, have the unit in Garmin map mode (not Sectional or some other raster product), and have clicked the "zoom to aircraft" icon. I have to agree that is a bit annoying. However, it does work if you do those steps. Finally, I don't have "automatic safe-taxi" turned on. It's dopey and doesn't show things in a good way, and again it doesn't work when in raster map mode, only Garmin vector map mode. And in vector mode the auto-zoom (or manual zoom) gets you to the level of SafeTaxi detail anyway.