PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe-9
Thread: Flybe-9
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2020, 20:26
Cyrano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brigantee
Flybe is vital to this countries wealth which is why the tories are prepared to in effect take it into state ownership

It makes sense from all angles .
Only from the most obtuse of angles.

I asked the question a few days ago and I'll ask it again: what are the routes which are needed for regional connectivity, which Flybe is operating with their own aircraft, and where there is no competition? I'm perfectly happy to accept that there are some (but certainly not all their routes). If there is a need for (for example) Belfast-Cardiff connectivity, then the government can issue a PSO tender for the route, any airline can apply, and the one offering the best value to the taxpayer (maybe Flybe, maybe Loganair, maybe Ryanair) wins the contract. Surely far more effective (and a better use of taxpayer money) than indiscriminately supporting an airline which is competing with others on many of its routes?

The basic question is: what do you want the government to do? Protect key regional connectivity, or bail out Flybe? The two are absolutely not the same, and it would be possible to achieve the first for a much lower cost than the second.