PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best GPS/Tablet for helicopter use.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2020, 17:23
dclunie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use Garmin Pilot on an iPad Mini 5 with a Verizon SIM with a MyClip and it is adequate for planning and VFR flight in the North East. I do pay the extra subscription for the IFR charts but not really sure why. It connects wirelessly to the GDL39B 3D for traffic and weather (though often too low for the latter). The AHARS allows for an interesting panel or synthetic vision display but I never use it (perhaps because it involves looking down at my thigh too much, and not sure if I would want to if IIMC).

I mainly use it for automated flight logging and recording GPS track (with flight detection thresholds at all their minimums) but irritatingly it always fails to log the last few minutes of the last approach, landing and taxi in. Some alerts are super annoying and require clicking or swiping to get rid of (e.g., low battery, safe taxi) and autozoom is useless. Not really a UI that's much good when two hands are needed for flying.

I much preferred the old 696 I used in the fixed wing, but that is really too heavy for knee board use (though you can get one).

David