PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using aerodynamic braking
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2020, 15:25
tcasblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using aerodynamic braking

It seems to me that the manufacturers manuals for civilian airliners that I have flown recommend against using aft control input in order to use aerodynamic braking the way some military aircraft do.

I did find some interesting information though, published by the FAA in an accident report I have been reading about a certain rare situation where it is recommended to use such a technique, as a last resort. It is the first time I have seen such a recommendation but it does have some logic to it. I just wonder how much effective aerodynamic braking one could achieve...

"The FAA Airplane Flying Handbook offers the following advice to reduce the risk of hydroplaning if this appears to be a danger: When confronted with the possibility of hydroplaning, it is best to land on grooved runway (if available). Touchdown speed should be as slow as possible consistent with safety. After the nose-wheel is lowered to the runway, moderate braking should be applied. If deceleration is not detected and hydroplaning is suspected, the nose should be raised and aerodynamic drag utilized to decelerate to a point where the brakes so become effective."

Avoiding Hydroplaning/Aquaplaning
• Land on a grooved runway if available.
• Touch down as slow as is safely possible.
• Apply moderate braking after the nose-wheel is lowered to the runway.
• If hydroplaning is suspected, raise the aircraft’s nose and use aerodynamic drag to decelerate to a point where the brakes become effective.
• Apply the brakes firmly until reaching a point just short of a skid. At the first sign of skid, release brake pressure and allow the wheels to spin up.
• Maintain directional control as far as possible with the rudder.

https://reports.aviation-safety.net/...135_ZS-SJW.pdf