PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA crew test positive for alcohol (Sentences)
Old 15th Nov 2003, 08:39
ILS 119.5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the moment the crew are being branded as "guilty". As professionals we should not do this. Our first line should be support for these people. If they are found "guilty" then so be it, but I think that the company procedures should be the first to be examined rather than the crew. Years ago I used to travel with my Dad (BOAC days), after landing drinks were a tradition and nights out were, however all the crew menbers always tried to refrain from drinking before departure. I think in todays aviation industry most of us are professional in views towards drinking before duty. In the old days if the pilots were under the influence then that was it, nowadays if the pilots are pissed then there are two auto pilots. (sorry, that's not an excuse). Maybe automation gives the flight crew a get out "well if I'm not OK then then autopilot will be"
Finally, only my opinion, if staff or more so company procedures are lagging behind the drag curve then the rules governing the curve should be addressed first which will sort the staff out. If the rules are then still not being observed then unfortunately the blame will come unto those who are disregarding. After 20 years in the Aviation business plus the 10 years flying with my dad I can that I could guarantee that 99.9% of Aircrew, Engineers or ATCO's have turned up for work with the levels of alchohol in thier blood as the accused BA staff.