PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Draft AC 61-16 v1.0 - Spin avoidance and stall recovery training
Old 3rd Feb 2020, 06:16
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
Inevitable thread drift, but how is that letter from CASA ”laughable”?
Maybe I am thick, but if the manufacturer’s performance charts cut off at 40 deg, either they did not test it beyond that, or did, and decided on the limit for a reason.
Much as I abhor the Nanny State in general and CASA in particular, no public servant is likely to make a courageous decision to over ride an approved AFM. The question was asked, an answer was given.
NO civil aviation authority would agree that AFM charts can be extrapolated. Some such as the UK CAA could possibly conduct their own test certification (they have done so in the past) and produce their own charts - for a cost. But would anyone really want CASA getting into that business?

I can just see the insurance claim now.....
Dear Insurer
Yesterday I wrote off my Bugsmasher Mark 1.
I was taking off from Wood Woop ALA and for some reason did not clear the fence.
I was only carrying one passenger (unfortunately now deceased as a result of the accident) so do not believe the aircraft was overloaded. As well as destroying my aeroplane the farmer is suing me for breaking his fence and letting his livestock loose.

Yours sincerely, Ima Claimant

Dear Claimant
Our claims assessor checked yesterday’s weather at Woop Woop and noted that at the time of your attempted take off the ambient temperature was in excess of 40 degrees.
As this is beyond the approved performance envelope for your type of aircraft your claim is denied.
Further, although we are also carrying your liability insurance, we reserve the right to withhold any payment pending official determination of blame, negligence or regulatory breach.

Yours sincerely
Never Payup Insurance