PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kobe Bryant killed in S76 crash
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2020, 16:00
IamNew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gomrath
Not required.
The 118 is at a higher elevation and most likely the Cloud base would have been lower. The Conejo grade is very much a gorge. It then drops steeply into the Camarillo plain. There are major electrical power lines on concrete pylons that cross the Conejo grade about 200-300 feet above the gorge. I live 1 mile from the location and drove by some 0 minutes before the accident. The weather was grim. Certainly not the more usual marine layer that rarely comes down to ground level. This morning it was a wet fog that shrouded the hills. Not wet through rain but wet from the thick fog. You could not see the crash site from half a mile away on the 101.
Point is, it had been foggy since dawn. VNY and BUR were both IMC.
The Part 135 operating license was VFR only.
Senseless.
This is probably a silly question, but I don't understand this portion of the transcript with ATC (bold is by me):

Helicopter: Van Nuys. Helicopter 2EchoX, we are currently with you for the special VFR transition. We are currently at 1,400 [feet].

Van Nuys airport tower: Helicopter 2EchoX, Van Nuys tower. Wind calm, visibility 2½. Ceiling 1,100 overcast. Van Nuys altimeter’s 30.16. Cleared into Van Nuys Class Delta, northeast of Van Nuys along the 118 Freeway westbound. Advise when you’re in VFR conditions or when you’re clear of the Van Nuys Class Delta. Transition when you’re at or below 2,500 [feet].

Helicopter: 2EchoX-ray. Advise in VFR condition, and then we stay on the 118. We’re currently at 1,400 [feet], and we have 0235.

Van Nuys tower: Helicoper 2EchoX, thank you. And once you’re clear of Van Nuys Delta, did you want to talk to SoCal?

Helicopter: Affirmative. 2EchoX.

Helicopter: Tower for 2EchoX-ray, can we start go ahead and turn toward the southwest for the 101?

Van Nuys tower: Helicopter 2EchoX-ray, approved, and are you transitioning in VFR conditions?

Helicopter: VFR conditions, 1,500 [feet]. 2EchoX.

How were they in SVFR at 1400 if the Van Nuys ceiling is 1100? Weren't they already in then clouds then? And then she asks if they are transitioning in VFR conditions and he says yes they are but at 1500? Seems conflicting to me yet ATC doesn't seem concerned.