PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canadian Sea King on Gulf detachment U/S for 45% of deployment
Old 15th Nov 2003, 07:17
HUDcripple

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OFBSLF,

As one of those few, I think you weren't that far off. Oceans are our country's primary mode of defence. Next is sticking our head in the sand.

As stated, the truth is not that far away. Canada in post-Cold war Europe had a significant Air and Naval force that suffered as time passed, as the Canadian Military must, in a country that has not known (real) civil war nor invasion (US attempt in 1812 notwithstanding). Our contribution to our own defence has been sadly lacking for for the past 3 generations - not just the last decade. Canada's current lack of coherent... 1) Foreign Policy, and... 2) a viable and useful Defence White Paper that reflects the 21st century realities conclusively shows that the current Federal Government is adrift and reactionary, to the significant detriment of our people in uniform.

Unfortunately, as a Canadian, I will have to concur with my southern brethren with respect to his assessment of the Canadian Government's reaction to more sad, yet likely deaths.

CF pers: Check Six! (...cuz the gov't won't do it for you!)