PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Differential braking with anti-skid active
Old 2nd Feb 2020, 10:46
AerocatS2A

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by FullWings
Oh yes, that we do. But how much formal training (as in hands on in the sim) is given on aircraft handling on icy/slippery runways? Have you ever tried differential braking whilst holding full rudder deflection on your type?

All good advice and SOP on many types, however in the situation where you are sliding off the runway at <60kts due wind, it is because the side loading on the airframe exceeds the lateral grip you can generate. As this indicates a *very* low friction surface, I would not hold out for a “huge change” under those circumstances, no matter what you do with the brakes. It’s like encountering an icy corner in a car at too fast a speed: brakes on/off, steering left/right, power on/off... you’re going to leave the road and the only choice is the direction you’ll be facing when it happens.

The real answer is to do everything possible not to expose yourself to these conditions in the first place and thinking you have “this one neat trick that icy runways hate!!!” up your sleeve may encourage riskier behaviour. Yes, you might save the day having been encouraged by inaccurate reporting into using an inappropriate runway but it would be foolish to expect that the above instructions are a 100% guaranteed get out from ground-based LOC. If you find yourself deploying any of these techniques, which are perfectly valid, I agree, you are in the last stage of incident/accident mitigation.
I think the real answer is that you do what needs to be done. If both feet are applying max pressure (whether regulated by anti-skid or not) then the ONLY way to get differential braking is by releasing the brakes on the outside of the desired turn. On the other hand if you aren’t apply any brake at all then you will need to apply brake to the inside of the desired turn. At intermediate positions then you can use one or other or a combination, whatever gives you the desired effect.