PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest research: Bleed Air Ducts can not be cleaned, pollutants penetrate human body
Old 2nd Feb 2020, 10:40
AerocatS2A

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SpringHeeledJack
I've had the unpleasant experience of what I concluded to be toxic-air poisoning twice in over 30 years of air travel, on many types/countries/airlines. The two types were the146 and 757. Both times I remember smelling a slightly eggy/sulphury odour in the cabin. Both flights were 2hrs or less. The next day I had a debilitating headache, body weakness and a generally hung-over sensation. No alcohol or other things were consumed. It lessened over several days. I remember chatting with an aero-engineer who opined that there was a bit of history (allegedly).
The smell was someone’s fart. The feeling you had the next day was from dehydration.

I’ve spent a few hours in 146s. They had a bleed mod done that was supposed to have fixed the oil fumes issues and I didn’t have much problems with them personally. The APU could also be a culprit. I found the Dash 8 worse. The logic of high pressure and low pressure air supply switching meant that it could switch to low pressure bleed when the pressure was too low to adequately pressurise the oil seals.