PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CDC Begins Passenger "Funneling" re 2019-nCov
Old 1st Feb 2020, 20:57
crankyanker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldnGrounded
Just an aside on the apparently-higher percentage of fatalities in Hubei: The statistics reflect only those cases that are known to health officials. With a disease that, in most cases, doesn't cause alarming symptoms, a very large percentage of infections typically escapes diagnosis. Assuming that 2019-NCov fits that pattern, the case mortality, overall, is likely lower than official statistics indicate.
That the statistics are only showing what's known is exactly why I focused on Hubei. The rest of the provinces are only recording a handful of outcomes. Chongqing is showing about a 25% CFR (which is still awful) with 3 recoveries and 1 death. They simply haven't been dealing with this long enough to have meaningful data. Hubei still shows a 60% CFR with 249 deaths and 168 recoveries. While there's almost certainly underreporting, I don't think that it's limited to those with limited illness. I doubt the mortality rate for 2019-nCoV will eventually become similar to a typical flu. You simply don't quarantine 60 million people for the seasonal flu.