PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 job at Global Aviation Solutions?
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2003, 06:01
Stratocaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your Highness, in my first and last sentences I was only trying to bring in some fun and cheer up Your day. I wouldn't be very happy (or even proud) to work for bean counters who twist the arm of the easiest and softest targets on the job market to buy their "job" (because those junior pilots bought the flawed theory that's the only way out of this global mess), no matter how shiny the aircraft are, no matter how large is my paycheck, no matter how great is the scheduling, etc. There are different ways to run an airline and keep it afloat, but I don't like the methods of your employer. I'm sad to hear Your Highness say He doesn't have any problem about it, but I have to respect that difference between us and I expect you to do the same. So keep your insults for yourself.

Now to our chemical entrepreneur, instead of propagating the usual "great pilot shortage"-myth that has been so common (and so lucrative) among FTO and TRTO for decades, if you have jobs to fill (more precisely the operators you're working for), post here the terms and requirements. Unless your offer is ridiculous and/or below EU airline standards, you'll probably hear from a few hundreds of pilots with JAR licenses, type-rated and experienced (B737/B747/B767/A320/A340/DC10/MD80/F100/ATR/etc.), who lost their job when Aer Turas, Crossair, Swissair, Sabena, Air Lib, HeavyLift, Aeris, GoodJet and so many others went down the tube or fired some of their pilots. Not to mention all the others who already have a job but are always looking for greener pastures (sources close to Sterling pretend they have around 130 B737 type-rated pilots on file). Not to mention the BA pilots who find it boring to stop flying at 55 (there were quite a number of them at the NetJets open day, how come they didn't fill your seats then ?). I'd be glad if you and your secondary customers were really offering something fair and acceptable to your collegues, but I doubt it, otherwise you wouldn't be chasing junior pilots with vague garantees and half-truths to convince them. Now you're even trying to sell a type rating to type-rated airline pilots, targeting especially those who don't have a job anymore I guess, since you're denigrating some type ratings in favor of "yours"...

Maybe you should pay a visit to the local flying club nearby. If you're lucky, you might be right on time to meet one of those airline captains with 9000 hours who recently lost his job, had to sell his house and his car (maybe his wife disappeared with the kids too), and invested in the renewal of his Flight Instructor rating to keep flying on week-ends with student pilots. Ask him what he thinks of those junior pilots who pay for type ratings and line training flights to get a "job" after that (sometimes just for the summer season: some are fired once the activity slows down). Ask him if he has no hard feelings about that and the totally artificial demand of pilots it creates. Ask him if he's also ready to buy a type rating to get an airline job again. My advice: be careful and take a first-aid kit with you, just in case.

There's no pilot shortage, you're just complaining that there's not enough experienced pilots willing to buy your products (for good reasons obviously !), which is a whole different thing.