PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest research: Bleed Air Ducts can not be cleaned, pollutants penetrate human body
Old 1st Feb 2020, 10:17
Vendee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by meleagertoo
With respect, clptrap. Utter claptrap.

I flew on the 146 as have millions of people and very few indeed have suffered anything, let alone all of them as you have rather ludicrously claimed. Quite what an inherently sickening aircraft is I cannot imagine. Aircraft don't suffer sickness afaik.

Furthermore, far from having flown on the 146 once, I flew it 5 days a week for 2 years and didn't find any adverse effcts, and to my knowledge neither did any of my colleagues, many of whom flew it far longer and one I know who is still flying it after the best part of 30 years.

Quite what your agenda is I can barely imagine, bit slagging the 146 off in such a bizarre and irrational manner lends it nothing but a healthy measure of ridiculousness.
I don't think it is claptrap. I worked as a propulsion technician on the 146 for 12 years. It was a smelly aircraft. Originally the aircraft had a catalytic converter fitted to each of the engines air offtakes, to remove some of the pollutants but these were removed early on (possibly because they broke up and fell back into the engine). The company I worked for had a fleet of ten 146's and we changed our engine oil types several times to try and mitigate the problems.... without much success. The ALF 502 engine seemed to burn oil quite a bit but of course, given the engine's heritage, its no surprise really.