PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Lovestory - How to get a job with an EASA CPL (A) in the USA
Old 31st Jan 2020, 23:36
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From someone who was in the same situation (a while ago):
The only thing that you need to worry about is a work permit. There is not a single company that will sponsor your application for a work visa as a pilot. You might get a visum based on your degree, but that would prevent you from working as a pilot. The only way (AFAIK) to get a work permit is to get married. When I did this I got my then girlfriend to come over to the Netherlands, we filed the paperwork, and a few months later I had a green card (I was working as a pilot in the EU back then, and came over to the US every month on the waiver program. If you apply for a green card in the US you have to stay here, if you apply in the EU you can visit the US on the waiver program, at least this is how it worked back then, in 2002).
This is what I would do:
- See if you can fastrack a Green Card through an American Embassy/Consulate in Germany (the only requirement for my wife to prove residency in the EU was physical presence, but that might have changed).
- Get an FAA medical (if you have an EU medical, you will not fail an FAA one).
- Get your FAA CPL (better, if you can get your 1500hr TT, get your FAA ATP, got to https://atpflightschool.com/ , and see what it would cost.
- get a corporate job as an XL pilot in the USA, and get hired by a regional/LCC as soon as you can.

All this will take at least a year, and a lot of money. You could consider having your girl move, but realistically, not a lot of Americans would like to live in Germany. They love coming for October Fest, but when they realize they will have to be fluent in german to be accepted, the shine wears of. Similarly, it won't be easy for you to move to the states and give up your country (Germany won't let you keep dual citizenship, and with a green card you are one speeding ticket away from being deported). I made the move, and 15 years later am happy, but it wasn't easy.......

Edit, to answer your questions specifically:
1) Redoing or converting would probably be close in time & effort. FAA is much easier to get than EASA (I did both).
2) I would be surprised to see any EU-REG in the USA, it is generally cheaper to have an N-number (that's why you see N in the EU...)