PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Differential braking with anti-skid active
Old 31st Jan 2020, 14:16
tcasblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vilas
I don't know whose quote is that but pilots braking technique remains same differential or otherwise. Anti skid will release or apply the pressure but the result is maximum braking which cannot be bettered. When you want to turn right you apply right brake period! No flight manual suggest anything else.
One should not suggest that no manual suggest otherwise unless they have read all the manuals. Otherwise it is just an assumption.

This statement comes from the Embraer 135 AOM as quoted in an accident report(appendix C). If it is accurate, I wonder if it applies to all aircraft with anti-skid systems or just certain types of anti-skid systems. I suspect that it is an area that most of us have not experienced which is why I am curious if anyone here has experienced such a situation where differential braking was required and what your experience was. It seems to go against one's instinct.

https://reports.aviation-safety.net/...135_ZS-SJW.pdf

We should also clarify your statement that anti-skid will not only release pressure but will also apply pressure as I am not 100% sure it is correct. I suspect(to be confirmed by others) that it is the brake pedal application that applies the pressure while anti-skid only controls the amount of pressure release(with the amount of release starting at zero under normal conditions). Splitting hairs perhaps with an overall same effect.

Last edited by tcasblue; 31st Jan 2020 at 14:27.