PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southend-2
Thread: Southend-2
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2020, 12:44
BA318

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brian_dromey
Thats quite a high number. I think thats highest of any UK airport by quite a distance. At Heathrow 28% use rail and 13% bus/coach, 59% car or taxi. I think MAN is something like 30% for all public transport modalities combined (Train, Tram and Bus/Coach). Well done to SEN if they have achieved such a high proportion of train use, butWhat have they done differently to other airports which also have rail & bus interchanges on-site? Are there lessons which can be learned?
I wonder if the methodology used is quite right, given the gap is so large? Have they taken all passengers through the terminal and all users through the airport station? Not all station users will be airport passengers, there might be a fair number of employees and commuters too. Even if there are relatively few in number if the average computer is doing 4 journeys a week that will soon mount up - especially over a short sample period.
I think the highest is LCY. In 2017 it was 69% of passengers arriving by public transport.

The lack of coach links probably pushes more people towards the train than other airports where there is more alternatives.