PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The basic Class 2 medical
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2020, 11:54
Squawk7700

Received 195 Likes on 102 Posts
The basic Class 2 medical

Just putting this out there as many that I have spoken to have never heard of this. It was recommended to me by a DAME. Same 2 year renewal applies for those over 40.

Note that this is NOT the drivers licence medical with the passenger restrictions on it.

https://www.casa.gov.au/licences-and...l-certificates

Total pax 5, 8618 KG MTOW, piston engines only, Day VFR only, No aerobatics, Altitudes up to 10,000ft.

Important things to note:

If applicants unconditionally meet the standard (except for glasses and hearing aids), they will be issued with a Basic Class 2 medical certificate by CASA. If you do not meet the unrestricted Austroads commercial driving standard, you can still apply for a Class 2 medical certificate where you will be assessed by a DAME who has the ability to judge risk factors and consider health issues relevant to aviation.

My experience was:

- Start the process by entering in the name of my GP
- Print the customised form that it gives you
- Tick the boxes about your medical conditions yourself
- Take to your GP (you'll need a double appointment most likely)
- GP comments at the end of each section (if needed), to verify what you've ticked is correct
- GP takes your blood pressure
- Quick eyesight check (you'd have to be half blind to fail it)
- Convince the doctor that you don't have any mental deficiencies, drug, alcohol or sleeping problems
- Get their signature on it (they should probably scan a copy afterwards)
- Go home and log back online
- Tick the box to say that you're done
- Print the medical certificate which is a CASA medical certificate with your doctors name on the bottom (I'm not sure my doctor would realise this)
- Pay the fee

(CASA never see the form as it doesn't get sent to them)

Doctor cost $75
CASA fee $10

Done. All over and issued within a couple of hours of starting it.

Last edited by Squawk7700; 1st Feb 2020 at 03:03.