PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF tanker aircraft - Boeing ups bid
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2003, 04:23
Rev Caption

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The papers have really been having fun with this one today (Fri 14 Nov). Two great quotes - one from Air Tanker (EADS) saying that the ex-BA jets are too old, (stated by an ex Senior Executive from BAES), and the other from Boeing stating that the Air Tanker cost estimates are laughable. I wonder which one of them is lying the most.

But a short pause while British Airways enters the fray to defend the Boeing bid and to state that their jets (which are still in revenue service) have only flown an average of about 10000 hours each, and have at least as much again left before they fall apart. Now, realistically would we expect them to say anything else?

Given that these aircraft are supposed to be part of a lean, mean strategic tanker and airlift force, and that they are supposed to be used constantly, earning civil revenue when they are not needed by the RAF et al, I wonder how long they will last. And isn't it true to say that ageing aircraft tend to develop more problems the older they get!

Oh well, I am sure that it will come straight in the end... just like the NIMWACS.

God Bless y'all

Rev C