PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flybe-9
Thread: Flybe-9
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2020, 06:47
Atlantic Explorer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by airsouthwest
From my point of view it appears Virgin have realised they have bought a sinking ship, Christine OW basically crippled the airline and it's out of cash. Virgin could easily just throw all the money Flybe needs and get it back on track, however the business model just is broken and I think Virgin and Stobart just feel it's not worth chucking loads of money into a business which has been struggling since 2010. The only way Flybe is ever going to get profitable again is to cut back and reduce costs, something which was done in Saad Hammad's time and was starting to pay off before he left, I love Flybe, I worked for them for nearly 5 years and it's painful to see them in this situation, especially when I know so many people who will be directly affected by redundancies or at worst the airline shutting up shop, but if i'm being honest I do think the clock is counting down on Flybe and unless something dramatically changes, I don't think they can survive much longer.
Agreed. I think the fact that the new owners have virtually done nothing to slash the cash burn and alter the business model into something worth fighting for says a lot about their intent. The company is losing huge amounts of cash every day, yet their silence is deafening. It’s a very sick and dying animal and the vets are standing by watching it die!

The latest ‘Cap in hand’ to the airports over unpaid handling fees is just preposterous given the wealth of their owners and really shows how ridiculous the whole situation has become. I feel for the employees who must be worried sick about their future.