PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kobe Bryant killed in S76 crash
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2020, 06:35
aa5bpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eeeyow
Have two questions and apologies if they have been covered. The NTSB has stated that the craft was in a 2000 fpm descent at the end.

At the very start of the descent, is the current speculation that he was IN or OUT of IMC? I've assumed IN.
And doesn't this descent rate somewhat conflict with CFIT - as in for what logical reason would a pilot intend this?
Far upthread I posted some PIREPs from that morning. Tops were reported between 2200 and 2600'. My presumption is that they were still in the clouds at the top of the climb (reports and data I've seen had them topping out around 2200)

I likewise don't understand the decent rate from a CFIT perspective. I'd see it more resulting from spatial disorientation, or, however unlikely, some sort of mechanical issue. I can't see how you'd want to descend, much less dive, out of an inadvertent IMC encounter without knowing for absolute certainty you weren't going to run into something solid. Better to get on top, or if stuck in the soup (and assuming basic IFR proficiency), fly somewhere you know you can let down.

From my own navel-gazing, I agree with BrogulT that a straight ahead max-performance climb would appear to have been the best option. If the pilot was familiar with the area (as reportedly he was), a climb along the track of the 101 which he was already following would have meant the least likelihood of encountering terrain. Depending on the climb capability, given the typical marine layer pattern here, he'd be reasonably assured to be on top within 30-60 seconds.