PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brits returning from China to be quarantined in a “Military Facility”
Old 30th Jan 2020, 02:42
NutLoose

Received 2,898 Likes on 1,240 Posts
A flight to bring about 200 British nationals back to the UK from coronavirus-hit Wuhan is unable to take off as planned on Thursday.

It is understood relevant permissions from Chinese officials have not yet come through.
The flight from Wuhan, the city where the virus first emerged, had been expected to arrive at RAF Brize Norton in Oxfordshire on Thursday morning. Passengers were to be taken to an NHS facility.
However, a number of UK citizens in China have said local authorities have prevented members of their families from leaving because they hold Chinese passports.Jeff Siddle, from Northumberland, told the BBC he and his nine-year-old daughter had been told they could fly back - but not his Chinese his wife, who has a permanent residency visa for the UK ."My wife is distraught," he said. "The Chinese authorities are not allowing any Chinese residents to leave."

He added: "I had to make a decision where it's either my nine-year-old daughter, who's got a British passport, and myself to leave - and leave my wife here in China - or the three of us stay."

Another UK citizen due to be flown out of Wuhan said she was told to leave behind her three-year-old son because he has a Chinese passport.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51304204

When we had the first UK AIDS victim flown into Brize from the USA in a Ten, If memory serves me correctly she was offloaded and shipped to a secure isolation unit where she sadly died, crew on were on full AR15 / oxygen and attending staff in NBC, she was in an isolation chamber... Aircraft then departed to Boscombe I think for a full decontam.. as it was a new disease at the time.