PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kobe Bryant killed in S76 crash
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2020, 17:20
Lonewolf_50

Received 420 Likes on 262 Posts
@SLFMS: Thanks for that IIMC story. Let's say I (at least once) experienced "got behind the aircraft" when going V to I and yeah, must work hard to catch back up.

Originally Posted by FH1100 Pilot
Oh, geez. Oh, Jesus H. Christ. Whenever I read crap like the above, the question I always have is, "Do you know any helicopter pilots? Have you ever actually *met* any real helicopter pilots?" Because if SASless had met, say, two of them, he would understand that every darn helicopter pilot privately (and often publicly) considers himself to be the best in the business.
Speak for yourself.
In 40 years in this business, I have NEVER met a commercial pilot who honestly thought that his skills were even slightly not up to par.
Ah, that's different, and I think this makes sense. If you don't think you are up to it, flying in a helicopter is no place for anyone. On that I suspect you and I would agree 100%.
FWIW: the Old Harry Reason's article from years ago about "helicopter pilots are different" still applies, don't you think?
"If something hasn't yet gone wrong, something may soon" mindset that among helo pilots is healthy may be deemed as strange among the general populace.
The thought is preposterous. It's quite the opposite, in fact. Every helicopter believes down deep in his soul that he can handle anything...ANYTHING...that gets thrown at him with the coolness of Chuck Yeager. "Rotor falls off? Heck, I'll just call a Mayday, pop the floats and set the beotch down! What, you mean you couldn't??" Read some of the pompous, self-righteous, over-the-top comments over on the JH "bad" board and you'll get the idea.
Not sure what percentage of helo pilots that represents.
No commercial pilot worth his salt is gonna engage in a little navel-gazing and then say to himself, "Ya know, I'm really not as good as I think I am."
But do you think that a lot of commercial pilots think "I always like to get better at my craft" or something like that?
I know one for sure who does (HEMS guy up in Oregon who I flew with years ago when we were both in the Navy. It's just the way he is).
estimate of what happened
Might have been that way.

Someone asked about Kobe's experience with aviation: as far as I understand it, his experience was as passenger, and at one time, owner of a helicopter.