PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kobe Bryant killed in S76 crash
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2020, 16:38
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No surprises?

When I saw images of the wreckage trail I began to think that this was just another accident due, basically, to flying at low level in poor visibility: scud-running. That's something that has well-known risks, as pretty much anyone who has done that will agree. Most every holiday season in the foothills of the Appalachians saw the CAP van in our airport parking lot, since they were out looking for this or that family who had dinged in going visual in marginal VMC, into rising terrain.

The rest of this also goes with "just another accident involving someone famous."

"World's Greatest Pilot Who Would Never Screw It Up." Yes, well, anyone can screw it up!

"Lack of some bells and whistles on the accident aircraft." TAWS in that environment would have been a real distraction, unless the repetition of "TOO LOW! PULL UP!", the bleedin' obvious, is something you need to be told about, assuming that you do have the terrain in sight anyway. Lose sight of it and it's probably going to be "GAME OVER!" instead, but who needs to be told that?

"Helicopters are unsafe." Yes, and so are ladders! So? What, the guy should have walked to his destination? "Greatest basketball player ever mauled by mountain lion!"

Best one so far was "I also flew on that accident helicopter!" from one of the Kardashian clan.