PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gibraltar and Spain gamesmanship.
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2020, 15:06
Nil by mouth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ATC Watcher
My understanding in my last visit there a couple of years ago was that an agreement under EU supervision was about to be reached with Spain regarding reciprocal use of their airspace with among others, allowing diversions to Malaga .I understand that Brexit might causing a review of that. Gibraltar could be one of the first casualties of Brexit.
(my embolding)

I think this at the heart of it, and it can only get worse after the end of January. Our new Gib passports already have 'European Union' removed, so that will ensure hours of delays crossing the frontier.
Out fishing today in my boat (in Spanish waters) the same Spanish twin prop patrol aircraft banked and flew over us a couple of times. The boat does display a red ensign as well as a Spanish flag. We also have our AIS rx/tx on squawking the boat's information, so perhaps someone can tell me if such an aircraft can receive AIS?

Hopefully diversions for Gibraltar bound aircraft to Málaga and Jérez will continue and not go back to the old days when Gib diverted flights had to land at Rabat or Faro before diverting to Málaga.

Perhaps gamesmanship was an understatement for those incursions, it's just that with all of the other incidents that happen around here it does seem like that.