PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Squadron patches
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2020, 13:36
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
BVRAAM, I have an unworn '101 Sqn Jan 1991 Desert Storm' patch, as well as spare 55 Sqn and 101 Sqn badges (sometimes described as 'crests') plus a 101 'cat crapping in pork pie' badge - if you want them send me a PM with an address, which will remain confidential.

Homelover, there was nothing malicious in my post - I just gave the background to the nicknames which 'twenty five to three' gave him. Actually, within the bounds of rank, I got on quite well with him. He was rather teased by a couple of 56(F) navs in 1982 - he'd been joe'd to get donations for some station fete and they gave him a number to ring.... "Hello, this is Sqn Ldr () of RAF Wattisham, I understand that you'd like to give us a donation for the station fete?". There was a moment of silence at the other end, followed by "This is the Argentinian Embassy, we are not in a position to help...CLICK". Our navs had been in the pub at lunchtime and had heard about the invasion - which he hadn't. But he saw the funny side. Another time he was flying with a certain nav (who used to PPRuNe a few years ago) - after the usual Eastern Radar waste of time they were handed over to Neat and the nav started off with their sortie requirements. "Shouldn't you authenticate her first?", suggested (), but was rather flummoxed by the response "Authenticate her? No need - I've $hagged her!".

I once bumped into him a the local WHSmiths after I'd been posted to a QFI tour. After the usual friendly "How are you getting on?" chat, he came up with the usual "So when are you doing your A2?". I replied that I'd only do it when there was a proper theory syllabus rather then the "I know more question than you know answers" inquisition of those times. He must have Known Someone at CFS, because a couple of months late a syllabus appeared, my bluff was called and off I went to Standards and Exam Wing that summer. Much to my astonishment I passed first time, so when I got back I tracked down ()'s location. "Hello, Sir - remember what I said about doing my A2? Well, I kept my word!". He was effusive with praise as was his wont.

But he got one on me in later years. I'd been running the Flying Club for a while and one day the Sqn Boss told me "Station Commander wants you in his office - now!" "Hat on or off, Boss?" "Don't know - take it anyway" Off I went, wondering WTF. Hat on, I was admitted to the presence. "(BEagle), what's this I hear about the Flying Club doing aerobatics over Burford?" "What? I haven't heard anything, Sir!" "Well, you'd better read this then...." It was actually a Blue Letter announcing my promotion - he shook hands and chuckled merrily about getting a joke over on a joker!

No idea where he is now, but on the off chance that he's reading this, I wish him well!

By the way, is it true that 'Blue Letters' are no longer sent out?