PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avoiding VFR into IMC accidents
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2020, 19:13
pa28warrior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This was over 36 years ago during flight training. Me and my CFI checked the weather teletype (I told you it was a long time ago) and he "signed off" on my flight from a tower-controlled airport inside a radar-service area (I am not current and only fly as a passenger, so I don't know the current alphabet soup).

Climbed out and started encountering the cloud layer. My first reaction was "no big deal" because I had flown commercial out of that same airport and staring out from a window seat, crossing the cloud layer and coming out on top was such a conditioned experience. My next reaction was, "not cool -- I am not legally allowed to do this." My third reaction was, don't make your trouble worse, level off and key the microphone. "Departure, Warrior Thirty-Echo, it's kind of cloudy up here, I would like to turn around. Student pilot." I learned that last phrase from just having attended an FAA Safety Seminar.

The controller was exceedingly kind, gentle and non-scolding. I was vectored around until I get sight of the runway, where I was cleared to land. When I tied down the airplane, the guy behind me was the eye-in-the-sky traffic police officer. His weather info sent him up, too, but it was not a day to catch speeding motorists from the air.

Thanks ATC!