PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight paths to be redrawn
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2020, 18:18
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WHBM
I really don't understand the "redrawn for the first time for 60 years" comment. London City only opened in 1987 and I can recall two total revisions since then (the last of which sends inbounds from Ireland within sight of Northern France before coming back in, never used to happen). Elsewhere the same.
The change to SIDs and STARS or adding a new approach pattern for a developing airport is minor., If you look at the overall design of the UK airspace route structures it has not altered significantly since 1965. The UK government has issued Airspace Modernization and it is clear this is a fundamental redrawing of the airspace to allow continuous climb, cruise descents, direct flight out over Ireland as it is the same Functional Airspace Block (FAB). It may also be that free routing is allowed at high level so aircraft can come off the free route SHANWICK and continue across UK to the FABEC. Savings could be significant for some operators.
This could be a big deal - I would suggest that air carriers take note and make certain that their views are taken into account - it might be another 60 years till there is another opportunity.