PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DRY ICE -- How Much is really allowed?
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2001, 19:25
4PON4PIN

"But the Capt. does not (theoretically) have any right to refuse (he certainly has no right to accept) DGR if the paperwork and loading procedures are followed."

HMMMMM.... Thinks..!!?

Some interesting exchanges. Perhaps there haven't been more contributors because many crew have scant or very little knowledge in finding their way round the IATA DG Regs. Let's face it, it's hardly a "Thumping Good Read" destined for a Pulitzer!!

Trouble is, you piloting chaps/chapesses are the last in the line of the many persons who are responsible for the safe carriage of a consignement of DGs. You are totally reliant on everyone else in the chain having performed their role industriously and in total COMPLIANCE with the ICAO Tech Inst. / IATA DG Regs.
Sure... checks are made, signatures obtained, sworn affidavits on mothers' lives that all is OK, yet Sh*t still happens!!
(You only need to ask yr CAA for extracts from DG Occurence Reports database to prove so)

I would suggest that if a captain had any serious misgivings about a consignement then he/she had every right to refuse and his/her company should give 100% support to that decision.

One instance comes to mind of Fluorine and Neon compressed gas being offered for shipment. There was no NOTOC, no extract from IATA Regs. Both items listed separately on "blue pages" are forbidden on any a/c. Captain refused the load. Transpires that the mix of gases rendered the combined substance non-dangerous and the goods travelled 2 days later.
Was the captain right? He thought so, I think so and what's more his company thought so.

It can be a nightmare sifting through the DG Regs and I do not for one minute suggest crews need in-depth knowledge of all the sections but a sound appreciation of how the book "works" should you require info could prove invaluable. Sections 2 /3/4 are particularly applicable to Flt Crew.

Hopefully some Ppruners may find the following post of use (I almost typed interest!!)