PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kobe Bryant killed in S76 crash
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2020, 03:52
kenish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gomrath
I live 1 mile from the crash site. This morning I was at that location 10 minutes before the accident and viz was about 1/4 mile. The weather
​does not blow in from the west but rather the marine layer comes up Malibu Canyon from the south and usually burns off by late morning. However, this morning it was really damp unusual weather and definitely IMC conditions. The helicopter came westbound along the 101, then turned S across Agoura Rd then E where it crashed into the hillside. Without wishing to speculate, I wondered if the pilot was attempting for the Lost Hills Sheriff's Dept Helipad. Had he continued West along the 101 for another 20 seconds then turned S across Agoura Rd , he would have been over the helipad. However with
1/4 mile viz at the surface at best, it may have been difficult to spot.

Thanks for the clarifications to my post. You were very close to the location and time of the crash. It was unusually damp here in Orange County too; as mentioned I was mountain biking. We started in dense fog around 1000MSL and broke out of the top at around 1300 where it was 20+ mile visibility but under a higher broken layer. Sounds like the ground fog layer was a lot thicker in your area.