PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hiller UH12c buying advice?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2020, 23:34
Karson Branham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Whirlygig
RVDT, yes, I know. But I did that say the pilot of the aircraft which is for sale "probably" has an FAA licence.

Cheers

Whirls
old thread but still very valid to post. The UH12C (H23C) is less expensive by quite a margin, to operate and maintain than the UH12E3. Both are 3 place machines. The 6V335B franklin engine consumes around 12-14 GPH, the VO540C2A Lycoming in theE consumes about 18-22 GPH. The franklin engines are known and reputable to be very troublefree compqred to the lycoming engines. There is a big difference in HP available. The C has 4 components that are time life limited, mostly tail rotor assembly parts. The mainrotor blades on the C model are wood and almost identical albeit a little shorter than the wooden blades of the Bell 47G. Gross takeoff weight of the C model is 2,500 lbs. Gross weight of the E with the latest model main rotor blades is 3,100 lbs. With the older Parsons tapered blades (similar shape and airfoil profile tonthebwooden blades) is 2,800 in standard category, and 3,100 in restricted category. There is not a less expensive Helicoter type or model in existence today that has standard airworthiness certificate than a H23C (UH12C) bar none. Very reliable, very inexpensive to operate and maintain. A Robinson is an accident waiting for a place to happen. Low energy rotor vs the high energy rotor of the Hiller of any model. Same as Bell 47. Real helicopters with real drive trains and no rubber bands. I would go with a Hiller. I have maintained Hiller helicopters for over 20 years, as well as many other types. The Hiller’s have been the most reliable and least expensive on the budget to maintain by quite a large margin.