PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A350 engine shutdown incidents linked to cockpit drink spills
Old 26th Jan 2020, 10:04
Lord Farringdon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Twitter
...... cabin crew were trained to pass drinks around the outside of pilots but even there, there were electrical and electronic items to be avoided.

Well surely that's just airmanship. When was the passing of liquids over the pedestal ever considered ok? The outcome is predictable, not specifically but certainly in terms of the likelyhood of some failure or another. And that failure might not manifest itself immediately but rather on a subsequent flight! Although I cannot for the life of me begin to understand how that might cause an uncommanded engine shutdown! I mean spill accidents have and will always happen and CAT is always there to get you at the most inopportune moment. I would think that manufacturers are well aware that pedestals have taken plenty of 'drinks' over the course of aviation even including condensation dripping through from overhead panels during decent. (C-130). So no. I struggle to believe a late design aircraft such as the A350, have allowed propulsion systems to be adversely and seriously affected by the ingress of liquid in an area which it is most likely to happen. Myth confirmed , plausible or busted? I'm saying busted!