PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2020, 03:33
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by ORAC
https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/de...rriers-1369551

Crowsnest, the most advanced aerial early warning sensor ever built for the Senior Service, is reportedly ‘too sensitive to use’.

A high-ranking naval officer told The News delays were a worry and warned of a ‘reluctance’ within industry to seek ‘independent help’ when issues arose. ’[/color]

Auxtank has a point, and not only because a ‘sensitivity’ issue arose on ASaC Mk7, was solved, implementation cancelled by a non-engineer, and then immediately became an issue during trials. (Limited benefit in picking up targets if you can’t identify them. Can't say more in case this is the same problem).

The RN officer is probably aware that much of ASaC Mk7 was designed and delivered by a handful of RN aircrew in their spare time; and companies other than the prime, who often weren't under contract until after the event. Remember, the prime didn’t bid for the ASaC job, they were awarded it by political overrule, and later bought by Thales (who, as Thomson-CSF, had withdrawn in 1994 as it was too difficult). The solution, something never attempted before (like quite a lot in Mk7), was developed by another company, which is what really pi**ed off senior management, as the Minister's chosen company HAD to be seen to succeed.

What really intrigues me is how much attention did Crowsnest pay to ASaC Mk7, given the winning bid in 1994 (before the 1995 overrule, and the RN changing its mind back to Sea King) was.....Merlin. I wonder how close this 'new' solution is to GEC/Ferranti's drawings of the day?

But I wouldn't be too hard on MoD's project manager. If it's manned at the same level as ASaC Mk7, Crowsnest is a minor job to him, among many!

Last edited by tucumseh; 26th Jan 2020 at 07:26.