PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C130 down NE Cooma
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2020, 01:57
A Squared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Squawk7700
Probably because the simultaneous loss of 4 engines. Let’s just say 2, would likely be unprecedented for the aircraft and engine type
No, it would not be "unprecedented" for this aircraft type. In fact, there have been a number of instances of power loss on multiple engines. Some have been definitively attributed to fuel mismanagement, others seem to have been caused by a malfunction of the propeller synchrophasing system. I can tell you for an absolute fact that Lockheed's manuals for the L382 contain an 8 step procedure for power loss on multiple engines. It involves setting fuel, bleed air, propeller control and electrical systems to a configuration that is believed to eliminate all possible causes of multiple power losses. I think that you should contact Lockheed with your knowledge that power loss on multiple engines in the C-130 is impossible. I think that they would be surprised to hear that is true. They quite clearly believe otherwise. I'm sure they would appreciate your wisdom.

Note: this is not to say that I believe that a multiple engine power loss was a factor in this accident. I don't know, and am not suggesting it is. Just stating that it's utter horsecrap to say that such is "unprecedented"