PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G650 to NZAP (Taupo, NZ)
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2020, 12:19
EatMyShorts!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hufflechug
I have been reading quite a bit about the skydiving traffic so we'll be vigilant arriving and departing. I finally heard back from the airport and they mentioned that they have handled a 650 in the past so as of now our concerns are a little under control. Thanks again!
I have been to NZ a few times on holidays and I usually rent light aircraft down there to fly around on these occasions. Been to Taupo airport a couple of times, it's all easy, just call in early and talk to the skydiving guys to make sure you are aware where their aircraft and skydivers are. The guys are very nice and will share all information with you, no worries.

Depending on how much you'll have there, rent a car and do some trips in the area. The "top attraction" in the region is definitely the "Tongariro Crossing" (https://www.tongarirocrossing.org.nz/ ). You'll need a full day for this and it'll be best to look for a place to sleep in a hotel/BB near Tongariro. They usually offer transport to the Mangatepopo carpark where you'll begin your trek - in the afternoon they will collect you at the other end of the crossing at Ketetahi carpark. If you choose to perform the "little" side ascent to Mt Ngauruhoe (it's worth it!), you'll need about 7 to 9 hours from start to finish. Bring proper shoes, sun screen, a hat, a warm sweater/light rain-stopper, just in case. I have done the crossing twice already, always enjoyed it. Nowadays it can be really busy, but depending on the month and time of day it may be less crowded, less clueless Chinese tourists who cannot walk up and down the slopes in their flip-flops.

Otherwise a nice trip to do is "Waitomo Caves", about 2 hours by car from Taupo. There are several caves, I have done the one with a 100 metre abseil into the abyss. It's a bit pricey, but how often do you get to NZ!?

The Rotorua area has some nice places to visit, too. There is a thermal area with geysers, although I find the entrance fee quite high. It has become a tourist rip-off. If you have seen geysers in other places, no need to go there and support the rip-off. Not far from is an impressive Redwoods reserve, great for a walk, all open to the public! In the city center you'll find Kuirau Park, there are some bubbling mud pools and hot water lakes, open to the public for free as well. When you park your car in Rotorua, don't leave any valuables openly visible, there's a small chance that they'll be gone when you return, although this is true for many places in NZ.

If you have more questions, shoot.