PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2020, 10:05
Lordflasheart

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Who's the Crowsnest Project Manager ?

Thanks for that Asturias

This article from 2015, tells much of the sorry story. https://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2015/...nest-decision/

A nice one-liner from the above - "The decision has been made and the often described ‘low-risk, low-cost’ solution has won out"

"CROWSNEST goes back many years, originally starting out as the Future Organic Airborne Early Warning (FOAEW) in 2001 ....."

A July 2000 parliamentary answer confirmed the particulars;

"We plan to acquire a Future Organic Airborne Early Warning (FOAEW) system to replace the capability currently provided by Sea King airborne early warning helicopters. FOAEW will operate from the Future Aircraft Carrier (CVF) and complement the deployment of the Future Carrier Borne Aircraft (FCBA). It will mount powerful radar systems to provide wide sensor coverage against both air and surface threats, and command and control for operations by the carrier air group. Expressions of interest for participation in the programme were sought from industry in February 2000. The planned in-service date for FOAEW is 2012."

And this from 2014 - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...craft-carriers

"Queen Elizabeth Class aircraft carriers will get helicopter-borne early warning systems 18 months earlier than planned, saving £22 million ......" followed by "... the Defence Secretary has accelerated the Crowsnest airborne surveillance and control programme to ensure it is operational by 2019.

Only in the land of Angst-More-Pork (pace TP) could we spend twenty years paying to rebuild an existing system and end up wondering if it will ever work at all.

'I have absolute confidence in Mr da Quirm's work, and I'm sure he has too.'
'Oh, dear. No, I never bother to have any confidence,' said Leonardo.

I wonder what the Crowsnest Project Manager would say ?

LFH