PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing Shelves NMA
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2020, 18:32
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by procede
I do not get why they do not basically just do what Airbus did with the A330: just take the basic 767 airframe, add new engines, modify the flight control system to match the 787 and tweak the wings for the increased engine size and weight.
The 767 isn't FBW, so it would take a major redesign to "modify the flight control system to match the 787". As I've posted many times, I think a "767X" - 767 fuselage with a new composite wing, new engines, and modern avionics/FBW would make a good NMA. But my friends on the inside say that's not likely.
Currently the biggest hurdle to the NMA is engines - it will need a state of the art engine in the 40-50k lb. thrust range, and at the moment the "newest" engine in that thrust range is the PW2000 (40 years old). Rolls still has their hands full with the Trent issues (had a beer with a former coworker last week - told me there are still over 30 787s AOG due to a lack of airworthy Trent 1000 engines) and Pratt is struggling to keep the current GTFs in the air.