PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Booking Out" and the AIP
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2020, 17:47
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
Here we are in easy reach of the Continent for drug and/or people smugglers. It is amongst our various forces' tasks to check logged a/c movements against reported activity.
Okay, I don't really see the issue. My home runway is 89 miles from the nearest United States aerodrome, so were I to be thinking of smuggling, it's well within the range of any of my planes. Indeed, a number of years back, a drug smuggler was caught landing at a friend's home runway only ten miles from me. But, we certainly do not log aircraft movements as aerodromes, nor on or off bodies of water. My daily flying is logged for each of my planes, but it makes no mention of location, just a total time for the day's flying.

Were the police to be interested in the movements from my home runway, or any other non tower runway in Canada, their only way of gathering data would be to sit off the end of each runway, and write down registrations, which, as any citizen, they are free to do. Otherwise, I keep my planes at home exactly so I can fly where and when I want, without accounting to anyone for it. Not that I have anything to hide, but I'm not going to go to more effort to create evidence either!

To respond to Jan's post, I have had the police stop in for a visit, as well as a military helicopter, no problem, I have nothing to hide here. But, if someone is going to use a plane for smuggling, I very much doubt that they are going to write down their smuggling flights for an evidence record for later!

any correctly-minded aviator will endorse and support such controls.
Whoa... not me! I'm correctly minded, but I'm not going to document my daily movements for the convenience of the police! I live my life, they do their job. Unless I actually am directly suspected of breaking the law, our paths don't ever cross! I don't write down when I drive, so not my flying either!