PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways A350 Hard Landing at Tel Aviv
Old 24th Jan 2020, 14:39
Uplinker

Received 106 Likes on 64 Posts
Re phase advance: As FlightDetent reminds us, if you use it below 100', auto-thrust will not re-arm, and thrust will therefore rapidly increase to the TLA position.

To use phase advance properly, you push the thrust levers forward out of the CLB gate by only about 1 cm for 1 or 2 seconds maximum, then click them straight back into the CLB gate: Click...click, like that. Auto-thrust will re-engage above 100'.

I think phase advance was poorly taught, then attempted by some who do not understand the Airbus auto-thrust logic, so they got themselves into trouble and Airbus took it away. I still use it if I need to on 'lazy' A330s, but remember if you do so below 100' RA, you will then be in manual thrust, so will then need to control thrust and speed yourself until the flare.

Probably safer, if you're not sure about phase advance, to add a couple of knots to Vapp during approach on hot, thermally days, when A330s can wallow a bit and get caught out.

Last edited by Uplinker; 24th Jan 2020 at 14:55.