PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NYT: How Boeing’s Responsibility in a Deadly Crash ‘Got Buried’
Old 24th Jan 2020, 08:13
RetiredBA/BY

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
[QUOTE=568;10670031]
Originally Posted by retired guy

With respect,
Since you have never flown the NG, and by your account only the -200, then these two variants are world's apart from the MAX.
I don't know if you have read the entire threads on the ET accident or the Lion Air, but in the flight envelope the crew were faced with they couldn't manage to control the pitch down movements of the stab provided by MCAS due to it's incorrect triggering.
Because of the lack of technical information provided by Boeing to pilots of the MAX, one would assume that no matter where you were trained or from what part of the world that you reside, fundamentally the airplane didn't react in the same way a normal NG would.
There were additional "nuisance cautions" sounding off (and other warnings) which weren't normal for a "stab" runaway situation as compared with the NG or earlier series.
Many human factors and cockpit design errors will come to light from these two tragedies and make modern transport planes even more safer and user friendly.

Read my post again.

I did not say I had flown ONLY the 200 I was one if the first captains checked out on the -300 whose automatics were probably the start of those on the NG and MAX !

I did my -200 course at Boeing with Chet Ekstrand as my instructor. I seem to remember, but it was 40 years ago, that the teaching was that if the trim wheel was rotating and not because of manual trim inputs or autopilot trimming, then you had a trim runaway and the IMMEDIATE, RECALL, action was stab trim switches to OFF.

With prompt action the aircraft would probably not be far out of trim and could be trimmed manually.

That said, perhaps I am more “sensitive” than most to stab. Runaways which the MCAS effectively was.

Back in 1964 I was posted to 207 squadron as part of the crew to replace those killed in the Valiant crash at Market Rasen, believed to have been caused by a TPI runaway.

We then had a drill rammed into us that a TPI runaway required IMMEDIATE action by both pilots as the tailplane could JUST be overcome by elevator input but required the full strength of both pilots. That remained with me for the rest of my career. I spent some time on the Canberra , too, which had a number of tailplane runaways leading to fatal ground or sea impact, in its early days, not forgotten by those of us who flew it.

My apologies if my memory is failing me !

Last edited by RetiredBA/BY; 24th Jan 2020 at 14:47.