PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avoiding VFR into IMC accidents
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 23:57
ZAZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GAGuy
When I was earning my instrument rating and after I had become pretty cocky on my ability to fly the gauges, my instructor took me up into a layer of thick stratus. I'm hooded, climbing out and before we hit the clouds, my instructor said to take the hood off and look around. I did. Nice view. Then suddenly we're in a bowl of cotton candy. Old crappy trainer, the air vents start leaking water. My heart rate went up times two. I'll never forget that day and how true IMC felt the first time.

This October past I earned my CFI. It's not in the syllabus, but I would love to give my students a flight into real IMC. Of course they wouldn't pay for it.
Never went into imc?
I guess Sth Cal is sunny all the time, but what about the highbterrain to the east?
no clouds?
Where I live in sw vic back in 1987 trying to get out vfr was a mugs game.
Did the I follow railway lines crap and then upgraded with casa to class 1 stayed that way until 2010 for 5000 hours in single engined cessnas.
Then went to our new pifr which was the ONLY concession afforded to ifr guys in three decades.
And now its a two year review and you have to ge honest with yourself in both recency and currency, though I now see under new licencing the pifr has been tightened up.
Its now 2020 have done about 30 ifr flight tests and would not swap with vfr guys for a million bucks.
IMO its always the vfr guys protesting the degree of difficulty in upgrading not the IFR guys maintaining their profficiency.
And now with flight radar everyone knows how well ifr guys are at track keeping and maintaining tolerances lol!