PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NYT: How Boeing’s Responsibility in a Deadly Crash ‘Got Buried’
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 22:10
retired guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Herod
Well said that man
Herod
can I second or “third”:that? Hurrah- I detect more posts supporting that view.

We refer of course to the need for basic flying skills/CRM/Airmanship, being retained and trained, or in some airlines, re-trained. or even trained for the first time in these skills. Quite a challenge isn’t it?

There seem to be two camps here in these forums. - “engineer-out” the pilots because they can no longer be expected to emulate the extraordinary skills of people like Eric Moody who’s crew saved the Jumbo over Jakarta. Eric would say, and has done , that he was just doing his job, like Sully. He was an average pilot in that airline. He never claimed to be a Tex Johnson or Chuck Yeager.

Or train them to handle the plethora of multiple failures that can occur on any plane with a cascading domino effect Non-normal procedures with confusing and sometimes contradictory annunciations.. like stick shaker rattling at the same time as the high speed warning. (look at the pitch,power and GPS for a clue would be good start).

QF A380 ex SIN was a classic example of the need, on even the very latest equipment, to be able to access a wide range of high level skills to prioritise the 50+ warnings they had with a partially crippled aircraft.
The lack of skills and training on AF447 was not a mile away from recent events. So it’s not just entry level startups that need these skills. We all need to hone them. Even some legacy airlines where perhaps we need to get back to basics.

The big question for the industry remains “ who is going to do this training?”
it is not unusual in start ups & LCC to have trainers as young as 25, who then train the 20 year old cadets , who 5 years later become trainers. There is every opportunity with that model for a sort of aeronautical inbreeding, with no wise heads to guide them. Add in the airline starting up its own Flight Academy and we’re all set to mark our own homework.
i guess my question is this- why are there so many on these forum topics who object to thorough pilot training?
if you’re a CFO counting the beans then I can see that it would frighten you to the core. But most commentators here seem to be either pilots or passengers who it would seem to me should be crying out for intensive training which has now finally been mentioned as a causal contributing factor in the two Max crashes.
Just curious. best wishes
R Guy