PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FEasibility of long haul with elderly relative with mobility issues
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 17:43
ConnieTrail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all, back with a quick update after your really helpful suggestions.

Having told us it was flying or nothing, it seems that Granny has a very bad case of cold feet now that this might actually be possible. The suspicion is that she just wanted the option of an escape route from the care home, which thanks to you, we have been able to offer her. I think we can take it as a win, although she seems set to end her days in the UK.

Originally Posted by Asturias56
You also need to make sure that the Australian's will let her in . They have been taking a fairly robust attitude to elderly people coming from other countries to Australia where they use facilities paid for by the Aussie taxpayer.
Granny lived (and worked and paid tax) in Aus for 50 years and has dual citizenship, so thankfully that wouldn't have been an issue. She moved back to the UK when she was in her 70s to live with a boyfriend (now deceased)! I hope I can say I've lived so fully, should I ever reach such august years

Anyway, thanks again folks. If nothing else, you've helped give Gran a smidge more peace of mind, which is very much appreciated and a positive outcome.