PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways A350 Hard Landing at Tel Aviv
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 16:06
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The decision by AB to not have the thrust levers move with auto thrust definitely doesn't make it easy to control/adjust power in the flare. I often see pilots start to flare relatively early, not reducing TLA while the nose comes up. Thrust increases (speed mode), landing is long, max reverse and hot brakes as a result. I just flew with a new guy, and when I explained you could wave off from the flare without touching the thrust levers (TL in CLB detent, AT on and in speed mode, AT will keep Vapp regardless if you climb or descend) he definitely hadn't realized that was possible.

Also if you do need a little power in the final part of the approach due to a change in wind, everyone's instinctive reaction would be to advance the thrust lever, leading to a quite drastic increase in thrust. Even if you were aware enough to reduce the TLA and push the IDB, getting the right amount of power is not nearly as easy as it would be if the thrust levers moved, and you could just bump them up a bit.

Because of this I have gotten in the (bad?) habit of not using the AT on the approach often. If I do use the AT I start reducing TLA towards 1.05 EPR (mostly by muscle memory, same spot as for the T/O) before I start raising the nose. At that point I should not need full CLB power, and if I did need it, I would select TOGA and GA.