PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CDC Begins Passenger "Funneling" re 2019-nCov
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 12:02
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by Beamr
Now reported Huanqqang is closed and Eizhou has closed railway stations. This closure now actually affects approx 20 million people, so the local health and safety authorities must be very scary (and possibly know a lot more than is released).
As all should be.

Was given an unconfirmed report of the death of the father of a friend who transited in the area, and died of symptoms consistent with the outbreak. That transit was outside of Wuhan, and the death was in a 3rd country. Not confirmed, but the source is medical and usually reliable. This event is not included in the reported deaths outside of China as far as I am aware. I hope that it wasn't the latest strain, but if it was, then there is an unreported vector already well outside of Wuhan. That report was enough for me to add hepa masks and additional gloves to the bio-protection that we already carry. If you are using masks, the simple surgical masks lose effectiveness when wet, from your own breath, in about 15 minutes, they don't work all day. Your own personal hygiene is a major part of contamination, we touch our own face many times every minute, and each time is an opportunity to transfer droplets from anything else we have touched.

Will be glad to be wrong.