PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton-9
Thread: Luton-9
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 09:11
LTNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do I start. Maybe I should cover this in a construction update. Anyone notice the fire exit that has been closed off due to building work by the terminal entrance? On the subject of evacuation safety, if there was a panicked evacuation in the summer morning peak passengers could be penned in by the barriers to keep passengers out of the bus station bays and the balcony barriers that fronts the bus station. Just think of the Hillsborough disaster. The airport plans to reduce the pavement further by building a small angled extension at the front by the underground service road.

At the back of the terminal by what was the temporary outsize baggage area, that before that was check-in desks 200-210 or some such numbering, has been closed off, as has most of that end of the terminal apart from a route to the baggage storage room and the new outsize baggage area. No idea what is going on but there is no hurry and construction seems to be taking place by one man and his dog. I am not expecting much but after the customer agents desks were moved this has freed up space so maybe those check-in desks are coming back with a deeper passenger queuing area as it was very compact before and was hardly ever used. Don't know of any planned terminal extension at this end of the building as there is nowhere for it to go.

On the roof of the old 1960's terminal that can just be seen, a new barbed wire topped 4 or 5 metre fence is being erected. Why it needs a barbed wire fence to replace low safety barriers when it is on a roof is anyone guess but would maybe indicate the roof is becoming airside for some reason, which seems strange, as why make access for contractors so difficult as they would then need airside access.

Just in front of that by the terminals main entrance the whole area has been concreted over and this is now the bin storage area for the terminal. I don't know if this is an additional area to the one in the underground service area but it is partially hidden by the builders temporary fence as they are still on site. Not a great advert for the airport to see a mass of large dustbins and cardboard compactor machines by the side of a passenger entrance.

As for the ceiling on the ground floor, enough said. It was never finished apart from the bit above where the Princess Royal stood last year as I suspect the council was ashamed of the exposed pipework.

Last edited by LTNman; 23rd Jan 2020 at 17:11.