PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Totals 2019
Thread: Totals 2019
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 04:02
Berealgetreal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Australia

Below is a different perspective.

Australian Major Domestic carrier FO B737 figures in Australian Dollars. 15,000 Total time (mostly jet two crew), degree, 25 years in the industry.

Rough figures:
180,000 before tax (about 155,000 is base rest is rostered overtime)(123,500 USD) (111,500 EUR).
15,000 overnight meal allowances (cash in hand).
18,000 in retirement paid by company per law.
~750 hours.
42 days annual leave.
13x28 day rosters alternating 11/12 days off. Roster comes out a week before it starts.
Mainly 4 sector exhausting days with a significant number of overnights.
Min rest is 12 hours can reduce to 10, 15 at home base.
Food on board varies sometimes good sometimes bad I bring my own back up food.
Lounge entry (unlimited food bev) on long ground turns.
Overtime at roster publish protected (cancelled or changed flights won’t cause a loss of cash going sick/fatigued will).
Hotels mid range.
Little to no progression mainly seniority based.
No commuting rights.
Staff travel pretty good.
Can work extra days if so inclined.
Generally rostered to max duty minus 15-30 minutes for most duties.

After tax per month it comes
to about about $10,500 (7200 USD) (6500 EUR) a month Captains are about $14,000.

The cost of living exceptionally high. Median house price in my area is $8-900,000 and I’m well out of the city nothing flash. Base model European car is $50,000. Credit card bill for a family probably $8000 a month. Everyone has a base level medical insurance from the government (medical system is pretty good). Most pilots and professionals would have private health cover on top. Public school is rubbish, Catholic a few thousand a year Private very expensive and quite commonly the choice for professionals. If you lose your job and have any money/assets you use all that up then unemployment scheme which would barely buy food. A lot of wives work but childcare is again exceptionally expensive so if her wage isn’t high then it’s barely worth it. My wife has to work a few days to stay ahead but we are hardly on struggle street.

Major domestic pilots are above the average wage but not by far for FO’s. Trades would be on about 100, Doctors starting at 2-300k. Police 90 Teachers/Nurses about 100 Hospitality about 50, Regional jet FO about 110.

Tax system sounds similar to EU, Massive above $180,000 and above $250,000 (Capt) they hit their retirement $ as well with a bill in the mail. Each election the top end of earners get punched with some new scheme.

Country running on debt highest on the planet. Borrowed time... (massive personal debt home loans and credit card). People have been living beyond their means for about 20 years. Eating out all the time, going for multiple coffees everyday. No recession in 30 years people have no concept of a downturn.

The crunch is coming as the workers can’t foot the aged pension (government) bill and it’s about to get ugly in the next few years. (Read more and more levies taxes for professionals).
Ageing population getting bigger and bigger. Large (massive) influx of foreigners to keep growth going as there’s nothing else holding the place up.

There is a wages thread in the Australian forum. Reasonably accurate doesn’t get updated much. Most wage negotiations involve trading and generally you can expect 1.5-3%. Jetstar are having a stoush over it at the moment as I believe they’ve had a new rostering system introduced that has them now doing overnights. Tiger their competitor received large pay rises but are part of the much less profitable Virgin Group.

Last edited by Berealgetreal; 23rd Jan 2020 at 07:39.