PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avoiding VFR into IMC accidents
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 21:47
Squawk7700

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts
Perhaps an instructor can answer.... how long does it usually take a student to get used to flying off the AH in IMC by hand?

Surely it’s not that hard for a student to learn to climb and descend under the hood in order to simply immediately climb (if the aircraft is equipped) and to be able to descend into a known safe area by gps.

How much hood time is genuinely being taught these days, is it realistically 2 hours? Are the students ok with this at the time and then forgetting how to soon after? Are instructors doing AFR’s covering off under the hood to reinforce those skills? I know my AFR’s haven’t except for one of them which include recovering from unusual attitudes.

I guess this doesn’t help the guy who is scud running above a mountain range who runs out of options and can’t turn around as the mountains head up into the clouds. I’ve been there before myself. Committing to a climb through cloud in that situation feels as bad legally as blasting off from your local and heading through a few thousand feet of cloud. Human factors indeed...